Monday, May 1, 2017

Student Success Statement

“I have been asked what I mean by ‘word of honor.’  I will tell you: Place me behind prison walls- walls of stone ever so high, ever so thick, reaching ever so far into the ground- there is a possibility that in some way or another I might be able to escape; but stand me on the floor and draw a chalk line around me and have me give my word of honor never to cross it.  Can I get out of that circle?  No, never!  I’d die first.”
-Karl G. Maeser

When you make a promise and break it, that ruins your reputation.  Why?  Because you didn't keep your word.  IT is important that you pay a lot of attention to the promises you make.  Giving your word to someone by making a promise should be seen as a verbal contract.  You signed that contract by verbally giving your word or promising to do something.  The consequence of this contract is that if you don't keep your word, you lose the other person's trust.  You lose their trust and you can also lose your self-respect.  Promises are not games that can just be thrown everywhere- they need to be taken seriously.  What I understood from this quote is that if you give your word to someone, it is crucial that you keep it and that you hold yourself accountable for your actions.  

No comments:

Post a Comment